For my first blog I
chose to take a look into a very controversial topic around the world,
abortion. People have so many different opinions about abortions its only right
that our news outlets do too. The first news outlet I chose to look into was
CNN. CNN’s demographics also play a part in its “ opinions” 55% of viewers are
white males and about 50% are between the ages of 25- 55.I researched an
article put out but CNN titled “Abortion is about a child, not a choice”,
really the title tells it all. The article goes on to tell a story of how the
person in subject is extremely against abortion stating things such as, “As a Catholic with a deep commitment
to the sanctity and inviolability of human life at any stage and any degree of
usefulness, I find it very difficult to make those diagnoses, knowing in many
cases it is a death sentence.”. My research from this article and many
others on the site it became apparent to me that CNN is not pro choice probably
due to the fact that their viewer share that same view. In another article entitled,”
Let’s get real about abortion”, they brought up the idea of supporting women
that have been raped and got pregnant as an alternative to having an abortion.
That pretty much sums up their views on abortion.
The
second news outlet I chose was the Dallas Morning News, and their article called
“Congressional witch hunts targeting Planned
Parenthood are about promoting lies, not truth”. The article doesn’t come out
right and state anything about being pro-choice, it actually made statements of
being natural on the subject. Throughout the article in question it stated how many
stories about abortion are filled with lies and distorted to push someone’s beliefs
on others. Statements such as “I believe medical decisions
are private choices, and that government has no business dictating religious
beliefs.” makes me believe that The Dallas
Morning News may be a little less conservative the some of the other news
outlets.
Looking at these
different news outlets on the same topic was very eye-opening. It shows the
difference in opinions most definitely but more than that is showed how viewership
changes opinion. If I have a certain view on something I’m more likely to watch
a network that has the same ideas and morals as me. In the case of abortion it’s
almost impossible to find a news outlet that has differing opinions because on
mainstream television its seen as almost taboo.

No comments:
Post a Comment