Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Assignment 2: Tabloid

A tabloid is a newspaper having pages half the size of those of a standard newspaper, typically popular in style and dominated by headlines, photographs, and sensational stories. Well that’s the definition that the dictionary would give you but if you pick a tabloid magazine from your local store I’m pretty sure the stories would be far from sensational. If that's the case how do they keep the magazines on the shelf, how do they keep people interested? I decided to take a look into People magazine. When I first visited the site the first thing that I saw was some family controversy and a light bulb went off in my head. DUH! That's what keeps these magazines up and running, controversy but not from us normal people it's from the people we love and admire the most, the rich and famous. On the People magazine website there were all kinds of stories of rebel teens and of course the Bill Cosby and that was only the front page. The only story I read and considered to be “real news” was a story of a young girl who jumped from a burning building to save her life but sadly that didn’t even make it to the first page.

On the website they had tabs from videos to the royal family. As I searched the site there were no other stories of real news only stories of stars without makeup and picture of actors with baby bumps. As far as I could tell People magazine had used good ethical values when posting stories. Nothing was too jaw dropping the where they could possibly face a lawsuit. I believe that the only reason these tabloids are still on the shelf is because we are generally curious about the rich and famous.

No comments:

Post a Comment